Block Salvage Company was started in 1947 by Ed Rudoy. His goal was to have a locally owned scrap company and for about ten years he focused only on the scrap metal business. Over the years, and due to the unstable market of scrap metal, Rudoy decided to add additional divisions to Block Salvage. In the late 1950′s Rudoy formed Block Iron & Supply by adding a hardware and building supplies division. In the late 1960′s and 70′s Rudoy then added hollow metal and wood doors, a frame assembly division as well as a custom steel fabrication division. Then in the late 1970′s Rudoy added the accessories division (Division 10) to round out Block Iron & Supply.
Through the added divisions the business grew as did the personnel. Rudoy soon became one of the top suppliers in Wisconsin. Second and third generations of the family became more active within the business and Rudoy passed Block Iron & Supply Company along to his grandsons. The grandsons continued to stay active within the industry but turned their focus back to the scrap portion of the business. This lead to a management buyout by three employee’s in the Hardware, Hollow Metal division also known as Block Iron and Supply.
In 2007 three employee’s of Block Iron and Supply purchased the Hardware, Hollow Metal and Accessories division and continued to grow this company in the Oshkosh area. The three owners brought with them over ninety-years of experience in the industry. In 2007 when Block Iron and Supply moved to their current Witzel Avenue location they had approximately forty employee’s. They have continued to grow throughout the years by almost doubling their staff in size and employing people around the State in three branch locations which include Madison, Milwaukee and Wausau.
- 1947 - Block Salvage Company Opened
- Late 1950′s – Formed Block Iron and Supply, this sold building supplies and door hardware.
- 1960 & 1970′s – Added hollow metal doors, wood doors and frame assembly to Block Iron and Supply Division. Also added a Custom Metal fabrication division.
- Mid 1970′s – Added Accessories division to Block Salvage